A guest blog I wrote for Headland journal, in the midst of mud-making, helped me feel better about all the other things a writer needs to get done as well as writing… That’s one of the best things about being a writer – everything feeds the page: remorse, trout, my middle of the night hospital […]
The right, imaginative and clear use of details in a book, to me, is the single most important way a writer can improve their writing. What makes a book become real to a reader, what transports them from the reality of their own life to the world of the book, are details. And the way […]
A Guide to Creating was originally published in print form by Steele Roberts, NZ, as Fishing from the Boat Ramp – a Guide to Creating, and I am very proud to announce that after 5 years, it is now available on Amazon Kindle! You can download the book free for the next 24 hours here: www.agtc.jilliansullivan.co.nz […]
Writing without stopping is a way of sidelining the critic in you that doubts you. Imagine you’re trying to paint the sunset and a person comes and stands next to you and says: That’s no good, that doesn’t look real, I don’t know what that means, that colour doesn’t work, just as you’re trying to […]
Rain is coming, it said on the news, and outside there is a stillness in the air above the mountains and a hushed light, as if all is waiting. Meditating before you write is like that quiet time before the rain falls. It’s a way of stopping one life – that of jobs, family, friends, […]
Chapter one: The Two Words If you don’t carry on to read this book and I only have ten minutes of your time, here in brief is what it’s about. Read this, follow this, and you’ll be fine. Open any book and select two random words; nouns or verbs – naming or action words, not […]
Jillian Sullivan writes fiction and non-fiction for children, teenagers and adults. Her work has been published for over twenty years and includes four novels, three collections of short stories and over sixty short stories for children and adults, published in New Zealand and America.
- There is A Way Home November 8, 2016
- Feeding the Page April 10, 2015
- A Writers Welcome to 2015 January 2, 2015
- Make Your Writing Stronger: Details December 19, 2014
- A Guide to Creating is Now on Kindle December 12, 2014
- allan grant: hi I was wondering who did you get to draw your pl...
- Gemma Yates: http://gemmayates.blogspot.co.nz/2015/03/blue-sky-...
- Jillian: Thanks for your comments Rose. Good point about le...
- lizzie sullivan: Thanks Jillian, i am enjoying this writing advice ...
- Rose Michel von Dreger: This technique has been my lifeline as a poet. It ...