I wrote and sent away seven short stories before my first story was published (Scaredy Cat, in New Zealand School Journals). My first novel took me seven years to write. (I had four small children, no family nearby and no childcare in those days. It was a long process!) I went on to write seven […]
“Sorting words,” poet and neighbour Brian Turner said, “is like choosing stones; setting some aside, discarding some, placing others with care in the right place, to make something of craft and beauty that will last.” We talked about this business of word selection while cementing in the last selection of stones, collected in haste at sunset […]
New Zealand author Jillian Sullivan has built her own straw bale home in Central Otago. She had long dreamed about building her own home. When her situation changed dramatically a couple of years ago – her marriage ended, the last of her five children left home – Jillian decided the time was right to find […]
Writing is magical. I can think of four ways to explain this. The first is mythological. As Joseph Campbell said, we cannot manufacture the symbols of mythology, or suppress them, for they arise within us. They’ll appear unbidden on our pages. And as the ancient myths show, when we set out on a journey, such […]
A student writer asked me the question “What drives me?” for an assignment he was doing. It was an interesting question to reflect on, to consciously look at what I often subconsciously create. In my writing for young people and for adults I’m passionate about how people treat others – first, that children have the […]
Jillian Sullivan writes fiction and non-fiction for children, teenagers and adults. Her work has been published for over twenty years and includes four novels, three collections of short stories and over sixty short stories for children and adults, published in New Zealand and America.
- Cycling Central Otago – Day 16: On the trail October 22, 2017
- Cycling Central Otago – Day 15: Firewood October 22, 2017
- Cycling Central Otago – Day 14: Gravel Roads October 14, 2017
- Cycling Central Otago – Day 13: Green October 14, 2017
- Cycling Central Otago – Day 12: Wind October 4, 2017
- Lily: Your love, love of beauty, simplicity, divinity wi...
- daver: nice work, guys...
- Mx Downey: I have just ordered your beautifully written book ...
- Jerry Young: Just learned about your DIY green house and felt a...
- There is A Way Home | Jillian Sullivan: […] is what Jillian did, and her book, which...