Awards & Honours
- 2018 – Winner, Juncture Memoir Contest, America and 2018 Winner of the Elyne Mitchell Writing Award for Non-fiction, Australia.
- 2017: NZSA Peter and Diane Beatson Fellowship for a senior writer
- 2016 Takahe Prize for Poetry
- 2014: London Book Festival Honourable Mention for a Spiritual Book, A Guide to Creating (http://www.londonbookfestival.com/)
- 2011 Kathleen Grattan Prize for a Sequence of Poems, how to live it.
- 2011 Student City Arts and Cultural Awards, Outstanding Single Achievement in the Arts.
- 2011 Fishing from the Boat Ramp selected for The Great New Zealand eBook scheme.
- 2006 Children’s Literature Foundation of NZ Notable Book for 2006, What About Bo?
- 2005 Maurice Gee Prize for Children’s Writing, The Secret About Knowing Everything. (Manuscript in progress) Victoria University.
- 2003 Tom Fitzgibbon Award, Shreve’s Promise
- 2002 Sunday Star Times Short Story Award, runner up, – Getting On
- 1999 Highlights Fiction Award, USA
- 1998 Highlights Fiction Award, USA
- Massey University Undergraduate Scholarship 2007
- Highlights Foundation Scholarship to USA 1997
- Certificate of Achievement awarded by Nelson City Council, 1989