There’s something in the air that has us looking around, thinking maybe the cold is almost over. “It must be spring,” I call across the road to Ken. He’s with his ute and dog outside the general store. “Yes, I was watching the birds flutter around the digger in my front paddock this morning. They […]
For the first time in weeks the land has dried out enough to ride my bike from the house to the road. The sky is grey though, and rain clouds coming up from the south. Time to get riding before the weather changes again. Contador and I settle into good pace up the valley. We […]
A guest blog I wrote for Headland journal, in the midst of mud-making, helped me feel better about all the other things a writer needs to get done as well as writing… That’s one of the best things about being a writer – everything feeds the page: remorse, trout, my middle of the night hospital […]
“Sorting words,” poet and neighbour Brian Turner said, “is like choosing stones; setting some aside, discarding some, placing others with care in the right place, to make something of craft and beauty that will last.” We talked about this business of word selection while cementing in the last selection of stones, collected in haste at sunset […]
New Zealand author Jillian Sullivan has built her own straw bale home in Central Otago. She had long dreamed about building her own home. When her situation changed dramatically a couple of years ago – her marriage ended, the last of her five children left home – Jillian decided the time was right to find […]
Jillian Sullivan writes fiction and non-fiction for children, teenagers and adults. Her work has been published for over twenty years and includes four novels, three collections of short stories and over sixty short stories for children and adults, published in New Zealand and America.
- Cycling Central Otago – Day 21: Spring and Floods December 17, 2018
- Cycling Central Otago – Day 20: Hoar Frost June 5, 2018
- Cycling Central Otago – Day 19: Sun May 22, 2018
- Cycling Central Otago – Day 18: Autumn Inspiration May 9, 2018
- Cycling Central Otago – Day 17: Golden Days February 16, 2018
- Bill Sutton: Love that wood pile! Very Central. And sure hope t...
- Lily: Your love, love of beauty, simplicity, divinity wi...
- daver: nice work, guys...
- Mx Downey: I have just ordered your beautifully written book ...
- Jerry Young: Just learned about your DIY green house and felt a...